I received an email during November 2012 from Packt, in the email they asked me whether or not consider writing a book for them related with BDD using Cucumber based on Rails platform, the book will only contains 50-70 pages, they named this kind of book "Instant book", usually it is a quick guide for beginners using some kinds of technologies. Well, my first reaction was: "Wow, I even never thought about writing a book, if I am going to write one, hum... can I?", I did suspect myself a little bit, especially, the book will be written in English, I admitted I was not confident enough to reply them.
Actually I could imagine how hard this would be for me, a rookie who would write his first book, and at that period I was about to finish my 6 months business trip in Xi'an and would be back to ThoughtWorks Shanghai office soon, too many things... However, I am kind of person who always expects challenges, and always willing to improve and beyond myself! I decided to give it a try!
As soon as replied their email, the game kicked off, and I soon felt the pressure, Packt asked me to give them a skeleton of the book within three days, whereas 95% of my daily work was pair programming, and the rest 5% was meeting:) I had no choice but utilizing all my spare time, and I need my family's support, especially my son's support:)
I worked out a skeleton and sent to Packt in time, I decided to write this book with not only easy guidance and tutorials, but also with technical explanation in depth!
I decided to use my free Bitbucket git repository to store my book, the drafted skeleton was submitted by me on Dec 07 2012, there had been many changes after the final publish, but this was really the first step!
Most recent commits on Bitbucket:)